| All parts of a Yew Tree are very poisonous and one mouthful is enough to kill an animal. They contain the alkaloid taxine, which has toxic effects on the heart. |
Symptoms of Yew Poisoning are rarely observed as horses may die within 5 minutes of ingesting the poison. Symptoms include collapse, convulsions, staggering, muscle tremors, difficulty in breathing and heart failure.
There is no antidote to Yew Poisoning and there is no treatment.
Ensure you thoroughly check all hedges for yew trees. If you find any present either fence them off or cut them down.