Acorn Poisoning

Similar Pages:
 Yew Poisoning
 Ragwort Poisoning


Acorns and oak leaves both contain tannic acid, which is poisonous to horses, and once a horse has acquired the taste for acorns they will actively search for them as their taste is addictive.

Acorn Poisoning causes kidney damage and gastroenteritis.


Symptoms of Acorn Poisoning include:

1. Loss of appetite

2. Blood in the urine

3. Constipation and then diarrhoea

4. Abdominal pain

5. General dullness


There is no antidote to acorn poisoning. Treatment with drugs to reduce pain and control diarrhoea is an option and a course of antibiotics may be prescribed.


Do not put horses in pasture where oak trees are present. If it is unavoidable, fence off any oak trees and collect any fallen acorns at least once per day.

Contact         About         Glossary         Site Map         Privacy Policy

CC 2006 - 2014